It is known worldwide that smoking is one of the most dangerous habits. Once addicted, it is hard to let go of smoking even when one knows that it is killing the body from within. Most smokers drop the idea of smoking cessation for they believe that they have already harmed their bodies enough and quitting smoking will do no wonders for them. However, they could not be further than the truth.
Reap the Rewards of Quitting
Even if one has been smoking for a long time, kicking this dreadful habit is always a good idea. The body is put under a lot of strain with every puff of a cigarette. Now is always the best time to quit. The following are some of the benefits that come with smoking cessation:
- Blood pressure and heart rate moves closer to normal within 20 minutes after quitting smoking.
- The high carbon monoxide level in the body returns to normal 12 hours after quitting.
- There is significant improvement in lung function as well as the circulation in about 15 days to 90 days’ time.
- Within the time period of one to nine months, smoking cessation will result in improvement in the problem of cough and shortness of breath. The cilia present in the lungs start functioning normally and thereby clean the lungs better and decrease the risk of contracting external infections.
- Within a year of kicking this habit, the risk associated with coronary heart disease reduces to almost half of that associated with a smoker.
- Within five years of quitting, the risk of getting a stroke is equivalent to that of a non-smoker.
- More significant benefits start showing after about ten years of quitting. There is a reduced risk of cancer of the bladder, pancreas, mouth, throat, cervix and the esophagus. The risk of getting lung cancer is equivalent to half of the risk associated with that of a smoker.
- Fifteen years down the line, coronary heart disease ceases to be a major threat as the risk associated with it reduces to that of a non smoker.
The Instant Rewards
It is not that one has to wait for years to get the rewards of quit smoking. There are many and quite evident benefits which one will receive almost immediately. These benefits are as follows:
- better smelling breath
- teeth become whiter
- disappearance of yellowish finger nails
- enhanced sense of smell
- no shortage of breath while doing physical activities
The body and clothes smell better. It is quite clear that giving up smoking is one of the biggest rewards one can give to his body. This change alone will bring significant health benefits which were being deprived due to smoking.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- How to Stop Anxiety Attacks: The Causes and Treatment of Excessive Worrying - July 27, 2017
- Oxycodone High: It Is So Much More Than Physical Dependence - July 27, 2017
- The Symptoms of Anxiety: Dealing With Serious Stress - June 30, 2017